There is no better snack than proja with kefir*, especially muffin-shaped proja.
What makes this cornbread different is cheese as an ingredient. Since it is impossible to find regular Serbian white cheese here, I use feta cheese which is tangier.**
If you prefer crunchy texture add instant polenta as I do. Sometimes I put parsley or some other herb just to give it a kick.
Here you can find similar savory muffins with ham, red pepper, herbs, etc.
*What Americans call kefir is regular yogurt in Serbia. We like it plain and liquid without fruits and sugar. What Serbs call kefir that is something similar to American kefir but it has alcohol. In the U.S. kefir is quite expensive, but I found one from Trader Joe’s that is the cheapest (no more than $3 per bottle) and it is really good.
**Please check out this video about Serbian food. You will see how Serbian white cheese looks like and other great goodies. I bet your eyes will enjoy every food that you see.
You need for 12 regular muffins:
- 1 cup packed flour
- ½ cup cornmeal
- ½ cup instant polenta
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup plain yogurt or kefir
- ½ cup vegetable oil, plus extra to grease the baking pan
- 100g feta cheese
1. Preheat the oven to 375F. Grease the baking pan.
2. Mix dry ingredients: flour, cornmeal, instant polenta, salt and baking powder. In separate bowl mix wet ingredients: eggs, yogurt, and oil. Then, add wet to dry ingredients. Don’t over mix it. Add crumbled feta cheese.
3. Put the mixture in the baking pan. Bake it for 30-35 minutes until golden brown.
|These are with parsley.|
I saw this great video. I like projaReplyDelete
gledam ih.. i gledam.. i tako dobro izgledaju da mi dodje da ih odmah idem napraviti.. =)))ReplyDelete
Kefir ima vise probiotic bacteria u odnosu na yogurt.ReplyDelete