Monday, August 1, 2011

Zucchini Fritters or Patties (Pljeskavice od tikvica)




When I was a child I thought that only my mom made fried zucchini fritters, but it turned out that other moms did that too. However, later on I was really surprised to find out that this dish is just popular everywhere. Recently my friend told me that even in South Korea people made the same dish, except that zucchini fritters were served with shrimps.


You can use any type of squash, whatever you have available, but zucchini I truly love the most. When choosing zucchini it is always better to buy them smaller because there is not too much seed and water inside.


Recently I started to make zucchini fritters with green onions and I found that it went very well with zucchini. Of course, you can skip it, or use regular onion.





You need:

  • 6 small or 3 medium zucchini, grated
  • 6 green onions, finely sliced
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 cup of all-purpose flour (amount depends on how much water is left in the zucchini)
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • Salt and black pepper
  • Vegetable oil for frying
For dip:
  • Cream cheese
  • Sour cream
  • Lime juice


Steps:
 

Wash zucchini and grate it. Toss with 1 teaspoon of salt and leave it for 15 minutes, and then squeeze out excess liquid using your hands.
Beat the eggs, add black pepper and baking powder, sliced green onions and zucchini.
Finally add the flour. Batter should be thick enough to be spooned and dropped into the hot oil.

One spoonful should be a measure for one zucchini patty.
Fry zucchini patties on medium-high temperature, about 3 minutes each side, until they get the color as shown on the picture.

When you are finished transfer them in a bowl with paper towels to drain. 
Serve with the dip made from cream cheese, sour cream and lime juice.

I found recipes that asked for Parmesan and Mozzarella, various herbs, and so on. I have not tried yet but I believe you cannot go wrong with cheese.

On the pictures you can see my favorite combination: zucchini patties with sliced tomato and dip of cream cheese and sour cream. Mmmmmm .... so delicious. I wish I could eat it this moment.



    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...