Sunday, January 23, 2011

Gorgeous Risotto with Wild Mushrooms



Last fall I became addicted to risotto...  to any kind. Finally, I found a good recipe how to make a great basic risotto. And, I started to make different combos... with saffron, different veggies, cheeses and spices, etc....and, I ended up with Ina Garten's wild mushrooms' risotto. I have to admit I didn't follow all details from her recipe, I did many things on my own, because I knew it could be even more better than hers. That was such a feast for all my senses! I don't have words to describe it... earthy, creamy... an incredible flavor. I have never tried anything so good as this risotto.


You need:
  • 1 pound fresh crimini mushrooms
  • 1 oz of each: dried porcini and crimini mushrooms (all can be found in Whole Foods)
  • 1 1/2 cup Arborio rice (why Arborio, it's simply the best for risotto)
  • 1 big finely chopped onion
  • 5 chopped scallions ( I always add scallions whenever recipe asks for onion, because they have such a great flavor)
  • 1 chopped shallot
  • 1 oz diced pancetta
  • 3 tbs. butter
  • 3 tbs. olive oil
  • 5 cups chicken broth
  • 1/2 cup dry white wine
  • 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
  • salt and black pepper

Steps:
  1. Soak dried mushrooms in 2 cups of hot water for 30 min. Drain them and cut, and add the rest of water,  where mushrooms have been soaked, to chicken broth.
  2. Slice fresh mushrooms, chop onions and dice bacon.
  3. Bring chicken broth and mushroom liquid to a simmer.
  4. In a large pan heat olive oil and butter. Add onion and bacon, and after 5 min all mushrooms. Saute them altogether for 5 min over medium heat.
  5. Add rice and stir to coat the grains with butter. Cook for 2 min on medium-low heat.
  6. Pour white wine and two full ladles of chicken broth and cook for 7 min. Add a cup of broth every time when rice absorbs liquid with constant stirring.
  7. Rice will be done in about 25-30 min total. Time sometimes varies as the amount of liquid. It should be al dente done.
  8. Add grated Parmesan cheese, salt and fresh black pepper and last ladle of chicken brought. Stir it until you get dense and creamy texture.
  9. Serve it immediately.

Notes: I served this risotto with broccoli rabe sauteed with garlic and flavors came up perfectly together.
If you want to eat risotto later, just reheat it and add some chicken broth.












No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...