One of my favorite soups... simple and elegant with superb flavor. The secret is to add ingredients that go so perfectly with asparagus: butter, thyme, lemon and sour cream.
When you buy asparagus always pick those that look crispy and firm. I prefer green over white ones.
- 2 pounds (900g) asparagus
- 2 chopped shallots
- 5 chopped scallions
- 3 tbs. butter
- 4-5 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- salt & black pepper
- sour cream
- lemon juice
- Cut the ends of asparagus in 1 inch (2.5 cm) and blanch the rest in boiling water for 5 minutes. Remove asparagus, drain and cool adding ice cubes. Cut tips from asparagus and keep them with the ice to preserve green color. They’ll give soup crunchiness and will be nice garnish.
- Chop shallots and scallions.
- In the large saucepan heat the butter and add onions. Simmer them for 10 minutes on medium heat.
- Add the asparagus stalks and in 5 minutes pour 5 cups of chicken broth.
- Season the soup. Add thyme.
- Soup is cooked in 35 minutes on low medium heat.
- Puree it with a hand blender. If you use regular electric blender please cool the mixture down before pureeing, otherwise it is going to explode and destroy your kitchen walls.
- Return the vegetable mix to the pan, stir in a cup of milk and cook it additional 10 minutes.
- Add asparagus tips at the end.
- Serve soup with sour cream and lemon juice.