I don’t know why, but for some reason Americans do not like instant coffee. Starbucks tried really hard to introduce it to the U.S. market, but obviously it was a big failure.
However, instant coffee or Nescafe (this is the best known brand) is very popular in Europe. You can make different kinds of drinks with Nescafe, but the best one is Nescafe Frappe. Especially in the summer time, there is no better refreshment.
I am a huge fan of Ice Mocha and I have it almost every day, but Nescafe Frappe was my first love. It is very sad that you cannot find this drink in the American coffee shops.
Cool thing about Frappe is that you can make it at home and save a lot of money considering how expensive gourmet coffees are. And, it is super easy to make. What you need to have is an electric hand mixer which is not expensive at all. You can add some ice cream, whipped cream, crumbled cookies on the top and have a rich, delicious summer drink.
- 1 tablespoon of Nescafe
- 1 teaspoon of sugar (or to taste)
- Cold water
- Cold milk
- Ice cubes
- In the tall glass add 1 Tbs of Nescafe and sugar.
- Pour about 1/2 inch of cold water.
- Using the electrical hand mixer mix well to get nice foam.
- Add milk and water in ratio 3:1. It depends on your taste. If you like strong coffee add more water.
- Add few ice cubes, ice cream or whipped cream, whatever you prefer.
- Stir it a little bit.
- Put in a straw and enjoy!